Thursday, October 18, 2007

Hope . . . or the lack of it.

Lately, I've been reflecting on why I get such varied responses from different audiences. Why is it that some audiences respond with a standing ovation while others sit there wondering how they will ever be able to act on the presentation material?

My guess is that there are some organizations that simply don't have much hope. Their culture is one of repression and criticism -- a place where employees are unsettled or even afraid. It is amazing how the heavy burden of the culture floods over me as soon as I walk into the building of such an organization. Not surprisingly, I find that most of the employees are very candid, yet unhappy, about their situation -- even informing me that they are always looking for the next opportunity to leave the organization -- ouch! Sadly, they often seem overwhelmed after a presentation since it seems so hard to recognize successes in such an environment.

On the flipside, when I walk into an organization full of hope (NOTE: I did not say a perfect company -- just a company full of hope), I sense a great deal of optimism -- even in the face of adversity, pressing deadlines, and the inevitable people issues. At such a place, they cheer and smile at the end of a presentation. They know there will be challenges ahead, but they face them head on and look forward to finding creative ways to recognize their colleagues.

Does your organization feel like there is hope inside? One way to to tell is to examine what the language is like in the place. What words are being used? How do people respond to clients, customers, or even to one another?

Did you know that being positive and taking time to appreciate your life & others is actually good for your health?

How do you create hope?

1 comment:

Shelese said...

Hope is such a powerful thing. (my mother taught me that (as I mentioned when you were in DC :) I really like this post of yours, Max. I am going to take some time and examine what the language is like in my organization (the home) to make sure it is still a place filled with hope. I'm sure I will come back to this post and read it through a few more times.