Wednesday, October 17, 2007

High performing employees want great managers

After speaking at a large organization (the 3rd city and 4th presentation this week), an audience member came up to tell me that they refused a promotion because they didn't want to risk getting a bad manager. "I know that I am very fortunate to have the boss I have," she said, "and I don't want to lose that."

Have you ever left a bad boss or stayed with a good one? What makes them so good / bad?

If you could offer one piece of advice, what would you say managers should do to be more effective?

2 comments:

Kitty said...

CARE. Care about the professional development desires of the people on your team. Care about the personal commitments that impact the work of the people on your team. Care about the motivations of the people on your team. Care about the success of the people on your team.

Great blog, Max. Thanks for sharing.

Max said...

I love that you use the word CARE to describe what we have to do to be competitive in the future. It may seem warm and fuzzy, but it is certainly the best way to retain top talent and produce results.